God created us with a body, soul and spirit. We also have an intellect, will and emotions. Though we all have the ability to make choices, we also have the responsibility to live with the results of the decisions we make.
No matter how well we think through our beliefs or how happy, sad, angry, or indifferent we are, we are always bound by the results of our decisions. We are also bound by the results of the decisions of those around us.
The average person at this point is about to stop reading, thinking, “Yeah, so what?” The “So what” part we have to be concerned about is that, since we are made in the image of God, we should act like we are in the image of God.
If you are thinking, “What does that mean?” “What is he driving at?” or something else along those lines, then this is for you.
- First, know God’s Word. Study to show yourself approved unto God. The emphasis is not on the study or how much information we have. The question is are we approved by God. God is interested in our character. We begin our journey to sanctification by knowing and understanding His Word. If you believe Moses, you would also believe me [Jesus speaking] since he wrote of me. John 5:46 It is not possible to believe Moses or Jesus if you do not know what they said.
- Second, understand God’s Word. That is actually contained in the phrase “know God’s Word.” Understand is part of the word “know.” However, every single one of us are capable of reading something or even memorizing something with absolutely no idea what those letters and numbers mean. So understanding is more than just memorizing or reading. What is the context? What is the background? What do other passages say about the exact same principle or concept? How does it all fit together? What does the passage mean?
- Third, have no known sin in your life. Known sin separates us from God’s fellowship. If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: Psalm 66:18 Once we are cleansed from sin, then God can use us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I John 1:9
- Fourth, understand that we are in race, a warfare and we must constantly be training and be prepared. Throwing off everything that hinders us and especially the sin that so easily entangles us, let us keep running with endurance the race set before us. Hebrews 12:1 (ISV)
- Fifth, if we are unsure what God wants, ask Him. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to everyone generously without a rebuke, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 (ISV) Sadly, some Christians never get to this point in their lives. Perhaps business, perhaps pleasure, perhaps family, perhaps simply some form of ambition, perhaps nothing more than laziness stand between us and God.
- Sixth, when we are finally where God can use us, be ready for the still, small voice of God. At this point we must be wise as a serpent though harmless as a dove. This is where Satan is so very deceptive. Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. I John 4:1
- Seventh, and final, obey God’s Spirit, His leading and direction. Understand, God’s Spirit never leads contrary to His Word. For this life we are on a battleground and not a playground. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12
King James Version of the Scripture, unless otherwise noted.
Image from public domain.net by George Hodan